1.3 Privacy and Dignity
Privacy and Dignity Policy and Procedure
Territory Therapy Solutions provides our participants with access to services and supports that respect and protect their dignity and right to privacy.
This policy applies to all participants and staff of Territory Therapy Solutions and other service agency representatives.
Territory Therapy Solutions is committed to protecting and upholding all stakeholders’ rights to privacy and dignity, including participants, staff, management and representatives of other service agencies.
Territory Therapy Solutions is committed to protecting and upholding the participants’ rights to privacy and dignity as we collect, store and handle information about them, their needs and the services provided to them.
Territory Therapy Solutions requires staff and management to be considered and consistent when writing documents regarding a participant and when deciding who has access to this information.
Territory Therapy Solutions is subject to NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission rules and regulations. Territory Therapy Solutions will follow the guidelines of the Australian Privacy Principles in its information management practices.
Territory Therapy Solutions will ensure that each participant understands, and agrees to, the type of personal information collected and the reasons for collection. If the material is to be recorded in an audio or visual format, the participant must agree to their involvement, in writing, before any material can be collected. The participant must also be informed at the time material is being recorded in an audio or visual format.
Territory Therapy Solutions will ensure that:
- it meets its legal and ethical obligations as an employer and service provider, concerning protecting the privacy of participants and organisational personnel
- participants are provided with information about their rights regarding privacy and confidentiality
- participants and organisational personnel are provided with privacy and confidentiality is assured when they are being interviewed or discussing matters of a personal or sensitive nature
- all staff, management and volunteers understand the requirements to meet their obligations
- participants are informed of Territory Therapy Solutions’s confidentiality policies using the language, mode of communications and terms they are most likely to understand
- Territory Therapy Solutions will attempt to locate interpreters and will use easy access materials.This policy conforms to the Federal Privacy Act (1988) and the Australian Privacy Principles, which govern the collection, use and storage of personal information.This policy will apply to all records, whether hard copy or electronic, containing personal information about individuals and to interviews or discussions of a sensitive personal nature.
4.1 Dealing with personal information
In dealing with personal information, Territory Therapy Solutions staff will:
- ensure privacy for the participants, staff, or management when they are being interviewed or discussing matters of a personal or sensitive nature
- collect and store personal information that is only necessary for the functioning of the organisation and its activities
- use fair and lawful ways to collect personal information
- collect personal information only with consent from the individual
- ensure that people know of the type of personal information collected, the purpose ofkeeping the information, the method used when information is collected, used ordisclosed, who will have access to information
- ensure that personal information collected or disclosed is accurate, complete, andup-to-date and provide access to the individual to review information or correct wronginformation about themselves